Thursday 20 June 2013

the one that didn't get away



On most days Beckah Krahula teaches us a few new tangles and urges us to create a tile using those and any we’ve previously learnt. 

At the moment I’m making mine on some cut down blank white postcards of quite thin card quality, and I’m drawing with an Initiative Fineliner, which has a 0.4mm nib.  I’m shading with an HB pencil and smudging with my finger!  The results aren’t quite as precious as the recommended tiles and pen might achieve but I’m working under the premise of this being an artform than anyone can do anywhere!

This was my Day Two tile –


Today's tangles : Knights Bridge - the checkerboard one, a good way to quickly bang some dark contrast into a tile.  Nekton - the little lines, which I'm sure we had on a wallpaper when I was a child!  Fescu - the topped stems which work well to add a bit of movement into a design or can straggle from one area into another. 

I like the part where we rotate our tile at the end, deciding which way up we’d like it to be before we sign it.  This part always sets my imagination afire, as I see my tile morphing through many incarnations.  Although I start to worry already that everything I draw looks like a handkerchief.  That even in my most thought-free moments I’m mopping tears.  But then I turn it and see a kite.  Then a ray trying to get away, strange organs shifting within.  Those places within us all where the concept of swimming is stored – where we are always in movement even when still. 

2 comments:

  1. OOH love this tile and can't believe how great it looks for only your second tile ever! I was definitely thinking it was a Ray! Hmmm, love Fescu . . . gonna add that to my repertoire soon too! Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs, Sarn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now you know why this blog is called The Ragged Ray!

    Fescu is a great tangle, super simple – I use it really often - it's a perfect little finishing touch to bring two areas together or give a little bit of movement where you need it.

    ReplyDelete