Monday 7 April 2014

Mooka loopy

Perhaps people are divided into two classes - those that can draw Mooka, and those that can't. I fall into the latter. I love how it looks, but I get into such a mess drawing it that both Mooka and I look jumbled by the end.

It's the bit at the base that goes wrong, so I've had it popping out of holes before, which works, but how many holes do I really want in each and every tile. I looked through some of the tangles I know to see if there were others that Mooka could emerge from.

And I think I've found a decent handful to start with. I practiced each in my sketchbook, giving Mooka itself a slightly different look each time.


Top-left - a ferny spiralling version of Mooka emerging from the holes in Nipa. Although the stems are levitating rather strangely here! A light and airy feel.

Top-right - a bulkier Mooka arises from between the parallel magic of Hollibaugh. This is a striking combination - lots of dark and light.

Bottom-left - a simple Mooka appears from the comparments in Cubine. This one is interesting because of the contrast between the geometrical boxes and the soft curves.

Bottom-right- slender Mooka strands finger up from the centre of several Festune. I hardly ever use Festune, and today I wonder why - it's lovely and versatile and stacks beautifully to suggest dimension.

Next time I fancy popping Mooka onto a tile perhaps I can feel more confident knowing I can anchor it to another tangle.

5 comments:

  1. I laughed when I read the first line of your post because it's so true. I fell in love with Mooka as soon as I saw it which was very early in my tangling days. Maria makes it look so easy in her video but I couldn't make MY pen do what she did with hers no matter how much I practiced. It has been my personal challenge to be able to draw Mooka in a way that makes me happy. I'm getting there but I haven't yet conquered Maria's original version to my satisfaction. My lines always look way too wiggly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know. I still struggle to tangle Mooka well. Especially those smooth versions.

    My variations are way more controllable than the original. My favourite way to draw it now is what I call balancing Mooka - lots of rounding helps even out any wobbles! There's an example here -

    http://raggedray.blogspot.com/2017/01/nine-on-ninth.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something that really helped me begin to come to terms with Mooka was when I came up with a tangleation of a pattern called "Window Grilles". I blogged about my first one in THIS post. I was so excited that I drew two more tiles and blogged about them HERE. I think that constraining the Mookas in defined spaces is what helped the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, your Window Grilles Mooka is wonderful. Constrained is definitely the answer!

      Your Pickpocket pieces are wonderful too!

      Delete