Thursday 17 March 2016

getting in a flip-flap

Yesterday I drew this tile - in the process trying two things I'd been meaning to have a go with for a while.  The first is the tangle - Flip-Flap which has been popping up all over the place lately.  It looks so complicated, but once you get into it falls into place and becomes quite rhythmic and calming to draw.  And of course open to endless embellishment.


The second was the technique of blacking out some areas of a tile and then using white pen over them.  I did it on some of the Flip-Flap 'fans' and then added simpler but complimentary details.  I opted for some very light brush pen shading and some tiny pops of bright blue.  It was a different kind of tangling.  A fair bit of thinking ahead and waiting patiently for pens to dry, but I really like the look of the final tile! And it's good to try something different sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment