Wednesday 19 October 2016

warming up

I haven't spent much time tangling in the last week as I came down with a nasty cold.  I'm getting better each day, but to get myself back into the swing of drawing a steady line I thought I'd grab a half finished tile from the Leftovers Pile

This is the one I grabbed. It was an idea for a new tangle I was playing with in the run up to Christmas last year - when my eyes were full of snowflakes and stars.  Something wasn't working quite right, so I abandoned both tile and tangle.


But I spent time with it yesterday, adding a few more detail lines, some lines with beads and Cruffle, and some colouring which made the centres look almost pearl-like. 

Slowly I started to realise how this strange little tangle actually resembles microscopic images of viruses.  Not necessarily the most pleasant inspiration, but versatile and very apt considering my recent incapacity! 

I drew a quick step-out and named my tangle Tira - which sounds like it could be a new strain of virus, one that makes its sufferers reach for black pens and spend hours drawing intricate patterns!


[If you use Tira I hope you have fun, and would love to know how you get on with it.  I don't think I've seen anything too similar on my tangle travels, but if it repeats a previous tangle, or name, please let me know and I'll remove it.]

4 comments:

  1. Haha I love this! It will be great fun to play with and very versatile. Clever of you to turn a nasty thing such as a virus into a thing of beauty! I've been looking at laser microscope photos of insects online recently and there is stunning beauty under our noses (literally in your case of course) ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary! Glad you like it! Yes, inspiration can be found in the most unexpected places!

      Delete
  2. This is a Ragged Ray week at IAST :) Your new tangle is featured in IAST #168 and your tile was highlighted for honors in IAST #167. Thank you for your inspiring work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My! I am honoured. Thank you Adele. I can't wait to see what people do with my new tangle!

      Delete