Wednesday 28 February 2018

through the looking glass

It's been a long time since I've taken part in one of Joey's weekly challenges.  It's been a long time since I've used Andromeda.  It's been a long time since I grabbed a tile from my Leftovers pile and breathed life into it.


From what I recall I made this background tile years ago, probably when I was first trying out the Gelly Roll Glaze pen.  I've haven't been near it since.  It doesn't particularly speak to me, but I thought it might be fun to try to send that band of Andromeda that Joey invites us to start with, in opposition to the Glaze band on the tile.

That was my starting point, and from there the tile developed with little planning and lots of instinct.  And an attempt throughout to wrestle something controlled from a very rough surfaced watercolour paper.  I added Tripoli type triangles into the band, Mooka Flowers anchored with black bands and a wobbly line fill that I saw Margaret Bremner use to far greater effect on one of her eco-dyed pieces.  I shaded with coloured pencils and a little graphite.  And I'm fairly pleased with how it came out.  


I like that glassy window through the band to the Andromeda lying beneath.  Which feels apt on these suddenly freezing days that are gripping the UK, just as we all assumed spring was close - not quite, but if we look carefully it's there waiting for us, if only we have a little more patience.

8 comments:

  1. Stunning! So much to study and admire! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must know by now that I hate everybody creating a tile I boil over with jealousy!!! This is so stunning, Jem! ...and even with a theme befitting your present ice spell. Congrats indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joey and Susie, this tile is so unique and beautiful and has so much depth, I love it immediately. And just that tiny use of colours makes it even more gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful interpretation of Joey's challenge! The interesting combination of these very different patterns on this frosty cool background and the soft coloring are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! gorgeous piece Jem! I love the layers and detail...everything;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just beautiful! I love the layers and the exquisite shading. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The depth and layers are really stunning! It really does look like a glassy window, a very cool effect. Really great work : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the layered effect in your tile. Beautiful. I didn't realise you are in the UK. We have also had a lot of snow in Wales. Hope it is clear for you now.

    ReplyDelete